Detec Systems Guide Specifications
Detec Systems Guide Specifications
Guide Specification - Membrane Moisture Survey Systems
Refer to the following Membrane Moisture Survey Systems for the manufacturer's individual proprietary guide specifications when developing office master specifications or preparing specifications. Edit and amend to suit required purpose.
PROJECT No. (OPTIONAL)
07 01 51
PROJECT NAME (OPTIONAL)
- WATERPROOF MEMBRANE INTEGRITY SCAN
- LEAK LOCATE / MOISTURE MONITORING ARRAY (WATERPROOFING)
DETEC - WATERPROOF MEMBRANE SURVEY AND LEAK LOCATE MONITORING ARRAY
|GENERAL NOTES TO SPECIFIER:
THIS SPECIFICATION SECTION HAS BEEN PREPARED TO ASSIST DESIGN PROFESSIONALS IN THE PREPARATION OF PROJECT OR OFFICE MASTER SPECIFICATIONS. IT FOLLOWS GUIDELINES ESTABLISHED BY THE CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS INSTITUTE, AND THEREFORE MAY BE USED WITH MOST MASTER SPECIFICATION SYSTEMS WITH MINOR EDITING.
EDIT CAREFULLY TO SUIT PROJECT REQUIREMENTS. MODIFY AS NECESSARY AND DELETE ITEMS THAT ARE NOT APPLICABLE. VERIFY THAT REFERENCED SECTION NUMBERS AND TITLES ARE CORRECT. (NUMBERS AND TITLES REFERENCED ARE BASED ON MASTERFORMAT, 2004 EDITION).
THIS SECTION ASSUMES THE PROJECT MANUAL WILL CONTAIN COMPLETE DIVISION 1 DOCUMENTS INCLUDING SECTIONS 01 25 13-PRODUCT SUBSTITUTION PROCEDURES, 01 33 00-SUBMITTAL PROCEDURES, 01 62 00-PRODUCT OPTIONS, 01 66 00-PRODUCT STORAGE AND HANDLING REQUIREMENTS, 01 74 00-CLEANING AND WASTE MANAGEMENT, 01 77 00-CLOSEOUT PROCEDURES, AND 01 78 00-CLOSEOUT SUBMITTALS. CLOSE COORDINATION WITH DIVISION 1 SECTIONS IS REQUIRED. IF THE PROJECT MANUAL DOES NOT CONTAIN THESE SECTIONS, ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SHOULD BE INCLUDED UNDER THE APPROPRIATE ARTICLES.
THIS IS A PROPRIETARY SPECIFICATION TO COMPLY WITH RGC GUARANTEE WATERPROOFING STANDARDS. NOTES TO THE SPECIFIER ARE CONTAINED IN BOXES AND SHOULD BE DELETED FROM FINAL COPY.
OPTIONAL ITEMS REQUIRING SELECTION BY THE SPECIFIER ARE ENCLOSED WITHIN BRACKETS, E.G.   . MAKE APPROPRIATE SELECTIONS AND DELETE OTHERS.
ITEMS REQUIRING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ARE UNDERLINED BLANK SPACES, E.G. _________ .
BOLD FACE TYPE IDENTIFIES OPTIONAL PARAGRAPHS AND FEATURES THAT MAY BE INCLUDED OR DELETED DEPENDING ON PROJECT REQUIREMENTS. CONVERT THE BOLD FACE TYPE TO REGULAR TYPE WHEN INCLUDING THESE PARAGRAPHS OR FEATURES. WHEN DELETING A PARAGRAPH, BE CERTAIN THAT ALL SUBPARAGRAPHS ARE ALSO DELETED.
REVISE FOOTER TO SUIT PROJECT/OFFICE REQUIREMENTS.
ELECTRONIC VERSIONS OF THIS SPECIFICATION UTILIZE AUTOMATIC PARAGRAPH NUMBERING.
WHEN EDITING IS COMPLETE, DELETE ALL TEXT ON THIS PAGE, THEN REMOVE THE SECTION BREAK AT THE TOP OF THE NEXT PAGE TO REMOVE THIS PAGE FROM THE DOCUMENT.
SPECIFICATION BEGINS ON THE FOLLOWING PAGE.
Section 07 01 51
(Master Format 1995 Edition: 07590)
WATERPROOF MEMBRANE INTEGRITY SURVEY AND LEAK LOCATE AND MONITORING ARRAY
- PART 1 - GENERAL
- 1.01 Summary
- A. Section Includes:
- 1. Electric conductance leak detection scan of membrane areas indicated below, and as scheduled at the end of this section, to verify membrane water proof integrity.
- SELECT PARAGRAPH a. AND/OR b. BELOW DEPENDENT ON PROJECT REQUIREMENTS. DELETE EITHER PARAGRAPH THAT IS NOT APPLICABLE.
- a. New waterproof membrane including vertical surfaces and penetration seals [-all roof and deck areas] [-roof and deck areas as shown on Drawings].
- b. Existing waterproof membrane including vertical surfaces and penetration seals [-all roof and deck areas] [-roof and deck areas as shown on Drawings].
- 2. Installation of permanent Monitoring Grid with associated Access Closure and related testing and measuring apparatus to facilitate membrane leak locations to within an area defined by the grid spacing. The leak locate function is performed at the grid access closure or by remote computer control using associated switching and measuring equipment without requiring access and testing on the surface of the covered roof.
INSERT SECTIONS BELOW SPECIFYING THE MEMBRANE AND ANY PRODUCTS OR SYSTEMS PLACED ABOVE THE MEMBRANE SUCH AS BALLAST, PAVERS OR VEGETATED ROOFING; ROOF PENETRATIONS, AND SECTIONS SPECIFYING ROOF REPAIR.
- B. Related Sections:
- 1. __ __ __ - _____________________.
- 2. __ __ __ - _____________________.
- 3. __ __ __ - _____________________: Roof penetrations required by work of this section.
- INCLUDE APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE BELOW IF PROCEDURES SPECIFIED IN THIS SECTION ARE TO BE BID AS ALTERNATES. OTHERWISE DELETE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH.
- C. Alternates:
- 1. Reference Section 01 23 00-Alternates.
- 1.02 Submittals
- A. Reference Section 01 33 00-Submittal Procedures; submit following items:
- 1. Product Data
- 2. Shop Drawings:
- a. Show Membrane Monitoring Grid.
- b. Location of Access Closure.
- c. Wiring path from Monitoring Grid to Access Closure.
- d. PCB Panel and screw termination block wiring diagram mounted in Access Closure.
- e. Location and type of roof penetrations.
- f. Location of roof drains and details of electrical guard circuits around drains.
- 2. Shop Drawings:
- 3. Quality Assurance/Control Submittals:
- a. Qualifications: Proof of survey company qualifications.Closeout Submittals: Reference Section 01 78 00-Closeout Submittals; submit following items:
- 3. Quality Assurance/Control Submittals:
- B. Closeout Submittals : Reference Section 01 78 00-Closeout Submittals; submit following items:
- 1. Field Report.
- 2. Proposal for Maintenance Service as specified below.
- 1.03 Quality Assurance
- A. Qualifications:
- 1. Survey Company Qualifications: Minimum three years experience in performing roof surveys, or as certified by Detec Systems to perform surveys as specified herein.
- 1.04 Delivery, Storage, and Handling
- A. Reference Section 01 66 00-Product Storage and Handling Requirements.
- B. Special Instructions: Protect electronic equipment and sensing and detection devices against potential damage from dust and moisture.
- 1.05 PROJECT/SITE Conditions
- A. Environmental Requirements: Do not perform scan(s) when heavy rain is falling.
- B. A hose connected to a water supply, and of sufficient length to reach all points on surfaces to be surveyed, shall be provided for surveyors use.
- C. Existing Conditions:
- 1. Membranes to be scanned must be broom clean (except for follow-up surveys on vegetated waterproofing) and be free of overburden, construction materials, equipment and debris.
- 2. Vents, pipes, supports and similar membrane penetrating components must be made of non-conductive material or be electrically isolated by layers of material added to the penetrating component above the waterproof membrane.
- 3. The waterproof membrane must extend above all overburden to avoid unintended electrical paths to ground.
- 4. A suitable liquid applied or weather proof insulating material or a cap sheet may be applied to insulate exposed concrete. Metal flashings and other metal elements should be clear of overburden and soil to achieve the electrical insulation and avoid unintended grounds.
- 1.06 Warranty
- A. Membrane Integrity Scan: The membrane integrity scan provides the integrity condition only at the time of the scan and gives no assurance of future condition. No warranty is expressed or implied.
- 1.09 Commissioning
- A. Reference Section 01 91 00-Commissioning.
- B. Perform initial membrane scan to establish baseline conditions.
- C. Verify wiring sequence, electrical continuity and the absence of shorts or grounds.
- 1.10 Maintenance
- A. Maintenance Service: Submit proposal to perform future membrane integrity scans, as outlined herein, every [3 months] [2 months] [ _________ ].
- PART 2 - PRODUCTS
- 2.01 SURVEY COMPANY
SELECT "DETEC SYSTEMS, LLC" FOR PROJECTS IN THE US OR "DETEC SYSTEMS LTD" FOR PROJECTS IN CANADA.
- A. [Detec Systems, LLC] [Detec Systems Ltd.] or a Detec Systems certified agent.
SELECT THE DETEC LOCATION BELOW NEAREST THE PROJECT SITE; DELETE ALL OTHERS. SELECT TACOMA, WA FOR ALL US PROJECTS.
- 2.02 Equipment
- A. Electrical Gradient Leak Locator: Hand-held A-frame probes and analog metering gauges.
- B. Roof Membrane Integrity Scanner: A wheel-mounted platform with both inner and outer surface sweeps connected to current metering gauges with an audible alert.
- C. Vertical Surface Leak Locator: Handheld water activated electrical current sensing device with analog metering gauges and audible signaling.
- D. Grid Test Set: A switching and current measurement unit that facilitates the rapid connection to and testing of the monitoring grid installed on the top surface of waterproof membranes.
- 2.03 Components
- A. Detection Tape: A laminated construction with a peel-and-stick high-dielectric substrate, two flat copper conductors adhered to the dielectric substrate and a hydrophobic protective layer over the conductors. Access Closure: A watertight NEMA Closure (required for outdoor installations only) with internal PCB panel(s) with Sub D connector receptacles and screw terminal barrier blocks for connecting grid cable wiring and to provide field test access.
- B. Electrical Cable and Related Accessories: Provide as recommended by the Survey Company to connect Grid with Access Closure.
- PART 3 - EXECUTION
- 3.01 Examination
- A. Examine surfaces to be surveyed.
- B. Examine surfaces upon which monitoring grid will be installed.
- 1. Verify that membrane penetrations are of a non-conductive material or are electrically isolated by applying applications of additional layers of non-conductive waterproof material or other electrically insulating materials.
- C. Verify availability of hose and water supply.
- D. Coordinate with responsible entity to correct unsatisfactory conditions.
- E. Commencement of work by surveyor is acceptance of installation conditions.
- 3.02 Survey Procedure
- A. Membrane Integrity Scan: Scan horizontal and vertical surfaces including inside and outside corners of parapets and equipment curbs. Use the scanning equipment as appropriate to surfaces being scanned and as selected by surveyor.
- 1. Mark breach locations on membrane with a marker approved by the waterproof membrane contractor and/or Inspector.
- 3.03 Installation
- A. Monitoring Grid:
- 1. Conductors:
- a. Place peel-and-stick tape with flat copper conductors facing up in the specified pattern on top of waterproof membrane.
- b. Install in accordance with Survey Company installation instructions.
- 1. Conductors:
- 2. Install Access Closure.
- 3. Install and terminate electrical cables from grid on PCB mounted screw terminal blocks in Access Closure.
- 3.04 Field report
- A. Identify date, time, and weather conditions when survey was conducted. Provide general description of scan/survey equipment and process. Describe typical membrane breaches located and areas not accessible by scanning equipment. Document survey with photographs and plan view scale drawings with approximate location of breaches noted.
- 3.05 Schedule
- A. Perform water proof surveys as follows:
SELECT SUBPARAGRAPH 1. OR SOME COMBINATION OF 2, 3, AND 4. BELOW DEPENDING ON PROJECT REQUIREMENTS. USE SUBPARAGRAPH 4. TO DESIGNATE MEMBRANE TYPES OTHER THAN ROOF MEMBRANES, E.G. PLAZA OR DECK MEMBRANES.
- 1. On existing waterproof membrane to locate existing leaks.
- 2. Immediately following installation of roof membrane.
- 3. Immediately following installation of final layer of inverted or vegetated roof.
- 4. Immediately following installation of ________________waterproof membrane.
- 5. After waterproof membrane installation and immediately prior to covering of the membrane with protection boards, drainage mats or other subsequent overburden.