Sarnafil PVC Waterproofing Installation Guidelines
Sarnafil PVC Waterproofing Installation Guidelines
- 1 Description
- 2 Guide Specifications: Sika Sarnafil
- 2.1 DESCRIPTION
- 2.2 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- 2.3 SUBMITTALS
- 2.4 PRODUCT DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
- 2.5 JOB CONDITIONS
- 2.6 SEQUENCING OF THE WORK
- 2.7 BIDDING REQUIREMENTS
- 2.8 WARRANTIES
- 2.9 WATERPROOFING MEMBRANE
- 2.10 MATERIALS
- 2.11 SYSTEM FLASHING PRODUCTS AND ACCESSORIES
- 2.12 DRAINAGE COMPOSITE
- 2.13 PRECAST CONCRETE PAVERS AND PEDESTALS
- 2.14 RELATED MATERIALS
|Notice to the Reader:
The instructions provided below are reprinted from the manufacturer's own materials which were submitted to the RoofStar Guarantee Program for inclusion in this Manual. The reader is urged to check these against current publications issued by the manufacturer, to ensure accuracy.
Manufacturer: SIKA SARNAFIL
Contact Address: See Membership List in Section 1.
Product Group: POLYVINYL CHLORIDE WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES
Country of Origin: Switzerland of Manufacture: Switzerland & U.S.A.
Year First Installed: B.C.: 1978 Canada: 1976 Foreign: 1964
The main component of the waterproofing systems is the Sarnafil Membrane, a tough flexible polyvinyl chloride (PVC) sheet, appropriately reinforced and modified for specific applications. The highest quality raw materials are utilized in a manufacturing process which saturates and fuses a non-woven glass fibre or polyester fibre fabric reinforcement with a PVC Plastisol into a single homogeneous sheet. The sheets are joined on the job site by a hot air welding / fusion process to adjacent sheets or flashings to form an integral roofing system. Larger than standard or different shapes may be prefabricated to suit job requirements.
The waterproofing assembly / material information published by the RGC Roofing Practices Manual does NOT represent a complete set of the manufacturer's published data, nor does it represent a detailed specification. The preparation of a detailed specification is the responsibility of the design authority.
The waterproofing system / material information published in the RCABC Roofing Practices Manual does NOT represent a complete set of the manufacturer's published data, nor does it represent a detailed specification. The preparation of a detailed specification is the responsibility of the design authority.
The Sika Sarnafil Self-Adhered Sheet Waterproofing System (PMA Assembly) is designed to protect structures from the effects of water infiltration leading to structural deterioration and interior water damage. In the PMA Assembly, the waterproofing membrane is applied directly to the structural concrete deck.
The system is primarily intended for intensive or extensive green roof applications, but is also applicable for plaza decks, split slab parking decks, tunnels, earth covered roof structures, planters, balconies and terraces, and roofing applications utilizing pavers, or concrete as overburden.
The Self-Adhered System design is intended to provide increased security by having the waterproofing membrane bonded directly to the structural concrete deck. The waterproofing membrane is a composite sheet comprised of a waterproofing membrane and a closed cell foam backing layer coated with a pressure-sensitive adhesive. The foam backing layer allows the membrane to better conform to minor surface irregularities, and acts as a separation between the substrate and waterproofing membrane. The pressure-sensitive adhesive is designed to adhere to properly prepared substrates. The Self-Adhered System is ideally suited for new construction, but may be used in renovation projects provided that the substrate is properly prepared.
2 Guide Specifications: Sika Sarnafil
- THERMOPLASTIC SHEET WATERPROOFING SECTION 071354
- SIKA SARNAFIL ® SELF-ADHERED WATERPROOFING SYSTEM
This guide specification is intended for intensive or extensive green roof applications but may be used for waterproofing plaza decks, split slab parking decks, tunnels, earth covered roof structures, balconies and terraces, planters and roofing applications utilizing pavers or concrete as overburden. In this design, the waterproofing membrane is applied directly to the structural concrete deck.
- A. Scope
- To install a self-adhered thermoplastic membrane waterproofing system with integral flashings and other components.
- The work includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Substrate Preparation
- Waterproofing Membrane
- Membrane Flashings
- Metal Flashings
- Protection Layer
- Insulation (If Specified)
- Drainage Composite (If Specified)
- Sealants and Adhesives
- Monitoring the Installation of Vegetative Cover
- Pavers (If Specified)
- B. Related Work Under Other Sections
2.2 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. This waterproofing system shall be applied only by a waterproofing Applicator authorized by Sika Sarnafil prior to bid. All work shall be completed by Sika Sarnafil trained personnel.
B. Installation of waterproofing membrane, flashing membrane, expansion joints, membrane protection layer, drainage layer and insulation shall be the responsibility of the waterproofing applicator to ensure undivided responsibility.
C. Obtain primary waterproofing materials, membrane and flashings, from a single manufacturer with not less than 20 years of successful experience in waterproofing applications. Provide other system components only as approved by manufacturer of primary materials.
D. Pre-construction conference to be held with the owner, architect, Applicator's field superintendent, waterproofing foreman, Sika Sarnafil representative, landscaper, and other involved trades to discuss waterproofing practices applicable to the project.
E. There shall be no deviation made from the contract specification or the approved shop drawings without prior written approval by the owner or the owner's representative, and/or design professional, and Sika Sarnafil.
F. The Applicator shall follow Sika Sarnafil's Required Quality Assurance Procedures for Self-Adhered Membrane.
G. Membrane Integrity Testing
- Electronic Leak Detection Testing - The waterproofing applicator shall arrange for testing by a qualified testing agency as per RoofStar guarantee Standards E.
- The Applicator shall submit to the owner's representative and/or design professional the following:
- A letter from Sika Sarnafil certifying that the Applicator is an approved waterproofing applicator in good standing.
- Shop drawings and details that have been stamped and accepted by Sika Sarnafil (Standard or Single-Source Warranty only).
- Specimen copy of Sika Sarnafil's material warranty.
- Specimen copy of RGC Waterproofing Guarantee.
- Sample of Sarnafil G476 Self-Adhered Waterproofing Membrane.
2.4 PRODUCT DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
- A. All products delivered to the job site shall be in the original unopened containers or wrappings.
- B. Handle all materials to prevent damage. All materials shall be placed on pallets and fully protected from the elements with canvas tarpaulins.
- C. Membrane rolls shall be stored lying down on pallets and fully protected from moisture with canvas tarpaulins.
- D. Membrane, adhesives, and surface conditioner shall be stored at temperatures above 40°F (5°C).
- E. All flammable materials shall be stored in a cool dry area away from sparks and open flames. Follow precautions outlined on container or supplied by the material manufacturer/supplier.
- F. Any materials which the owner's representative and/or Sika Sarnafil determine to be damaged are to be removed from the job site and replaced at no cost to the owner.
2.5 JOB CONDITIONS
- A. Proceed with waterproofing membrane installation only after substrate preparation is complete. Owner's representative and/or design professional and waterproofing Applicator must accept substrate before proceeding with membrane installation.
- .1 Substrate must be clean, smooth and dry. Do not work in rain or snow or adverse weather conditions. Severe temperatures, moisture and humidity may affect the installation of products during construction. Comply with applicable installation requirements for all components. Ambient and substrate temperature must meet the minimum requirements as outlined in the "Sarnafil G476 Self-Adhered Waterproofing System Installation Instructions."
- B. All work shall be scheduled and executed without exposing the completed waterproofing system and interior building areas to the affects of inclement weather. The building and its contents shall be protected against all risks.
- C. The structure must be designed to support the system, including the vegetative cover. The adequacy of the structural support must be verified in writing by the owner, the owner's design professional, architect, or engineer. The Applicator shall take precautions that storage and/or application of materials and/or equipment does not overload the deck or building structure.
- D. All new and temporary construction, including equipment and accessories, shall be secured in such a manner, at all times, as to preclude wind blow-off or damage.
- E. Liquid materials such as solvents and adhesives shall be stored and used away from open flames, sparks and excessive heat.
- F. The Applicator should take necessary precautions when using adhesives or surface conditioner around air in-takes. The smell of the adhesive, primer, or surface conditioner could be a disturbance to the building owner and occupants. It is the Applicator's responsibility to notify the owner and take the proper precautions.
- G. The Applicator shall verify that all drain lines are connected and un-blocked before starting work. Report any such blockages or non-connected drains to the owner's representative and/or design professional in writing.
- H. The Applicator is cautioned that Sarnafil membranes are incompatible with asphalt, coal-tar, polystyrene, oil-based and plastic-based cements, creosote, penta-based materials, grease, fats, oils, and solvents. Such materials shall not come in contact with the waterproofing membrane at any time. If such contact occurs, the material shall be cut-out, discarded and patched.
- I. The self-adhered membrane can be installed over existing residual asphalt-based waterproofing materials provided the material is fully cured, clean, sound and firmly bonded to the substrate (see Section 3.02). Do not install self-adhered membrane over coal tar pitch.
- J. Arrange work sequence to avoid use of newly installed waterproofing for storage, walking surface, and equipment movement. Where such access is absolutely required, the Applicator shall provide all necessary temporary protection and barriers to segregate the work area and to prevent damage to adjacent areas. Adequate protection of the membrane shall be provided for all waterproofing areas which receive traffic during construction. Any damage which occurs to the waterproofing membrane and/or system is to be brought to the attention of the owner's representative and/or design professional and Sika Sarnafil. All damage is to be repaired according to Sika Sarnafil's recommendations. The party responsible for damage shall bear the cost of repairs.
- K. All waterproofing materials, insulation, flashings and metal work removed for construction shall be immediately taken off the site to a legal dumping area authorized to receive such materials.
- L. If any unusual or concealed condition is discovered, stop work and notify the owner's representative and/or design professional and Sika Sarnafil immediately, in writing.
- M. Site cleanup, including both interior and exterior building areas in any way affected by the construction, shall be complete and to the owner's satisfaction. All landscaped areas affected by waterproofing activities shall be raked clean and seeded, if required. All paved areas shall be swept clean. All areas stained, dirtied, and discolored or otherwise damaged due to waterproofing activities shall be cleaned, restored, and replaced as required.
2.6 SEQUENCING OF THE WORK
- A. Do not proceed with installation of subsequent layers and vegetative cover over the completed sections of the waterproofing without the acceptance of the owner's representative, design professional, general contractor, and Sika Sarnafil (when a Standard or Single-Source warranty is specified). A copy of the Final Inspection for Warranty is considered acceptance from Sika Sarnafil.
- B. Protect the membrane and coordinate with other trades to avoid traffic over completed membrane surfaces.
2.7 BIDDING REQUIREMENTS
A pre-bid meeting shall be held with the Owner's Representative and involved trades to discuss all aspects of the project. The Applicator's field representative or roofing foreman for the work shall be in attendance. Procedures to avoid rooftop damage by other trades shall be determined.
Bidders shall visit the site and carefully examine the areas in question as to conditions that may affect proper execution of the work. All dimensions and quantities shall be determined or verified by the contractor. No claims for extra costs will be allowed because of lack of full knowledge of the existing conditions unless agreed to in advance with the Owner or Owner's Representative.
A Sika Sarnafil Representative's presence on a project regardless of reason, length, or frequency, does not imply that any additional coverage beyond that stated in the warranty is in effect.
B. Applicator's Warranty
The Applicator shall supply the owner with a minimum two-year workmanship warranty. The warranty obligation shall run directly to the owner with a copy to Sika Sarnafil.
C. Sika Sarnafil Material Warranty Membrane Warranty (5, 10, Years)
2.9 WATERPROOFING MEMBRANE
|NOTE: Regardless of the materials listed below or anywhere else in these manufacturer's guidelines, only materials accepted for use in the RoofStar Guarantee Program, or accessories associated with those materials, may be used to qualify for a RoofStar Guarantee. To see a list of the manufacturer's products accepted for use in the RoofStar Guarantee Program, click on the link above.|
- The manufacturer of the thermoplastic waterproofing membrane system shall have a track record of producing and marketing a reinforced PVC sheet system for waterproofing applications for at least 20 years. Subject to this and other technical requirements, provide products of the following:
- 1. Sika Sarnafil, A Division of Sika Corp.
- Canton, Massachusetts
- Self-adhered thermoplastic membrane: polyvinyl chloride (PVC) flexible sheets with non-woven fiberglass reinforcing and closed-cell foam backing layer.
[Note to Specifiers: Do not use waterproofing membrane in situations where the membrane will be permanently exposed to sunlight.]
Sarnafil G476-15 SA Waterproofing Membrane - a self-adhered, cold-applied composite sheet consisting of a 60 mil (1.5 mm), thermoplastic waterproofing membrane with fiberglass reinforcement and 60 mil (1.5 mm) closed-cell foam backing layer having an overall thickness of 120 mils (3 mm). The backing layer has a factory-applied pressure sensitive adhesive that is protected by a release liner which is removed during application. Membrane has a selvedge to allow a heat-welded overlap of adjoining sheets.
Consult the list of Accepted Materials by clicking on the MATERIALS link above.
2.11 SYSTEM FLASHING PRODUCTS AND ACCESSORIES
- Non-exposed flashings
- Sarnafil G476-15 SA Waterproofing Membrane.
- Sarnafil G476-20, 80 mil (2 mm), thermoplastic flashing membrane with fiberglass reinforcement.
- Exposed flashings
- a) Sarnafil G410-15, 60 mil (1.5 mm), thermoplastic flashing membrane with fiberglass reinforcement.
- b) Sarnafil G459-15, 60 mil (1.5 mm), thermoplastic, asphalt resistant, grid strip and flashing membrane with fiberglass reinforcement.
- 2. Adhesives
- Sarnacol 2170
- Adhesive for membrane flashings in areas where self-adhered membrane is not used.
- Grid Adhesive
- Membrane adhesive for certain flashing details and pitch pocket filler.
- Sarnacol 2170
- 3. Accessories
- Surface Conditioner 150
- A water-based surface treatment specifically designed to bind dust and concrete efflorescence thereby providing a suitable surface to install self-adhered membrane. For use when substrate and ambient temperature is 40° F (5° C) or higher.
- Surface Conditioner 150
- Sarnavap Self-Adhered Primer
- A solvent-based surface treatment specifically designed to bind dust and concrete efflorescence thereby providing a suitable surface to install self-adhered membrane. For use when substrate and ambient temperature is 25° F (-4° C) or higher.
- Sarnavap Self-Adhered Primer
- Sikaflex Primer 449
- A solvent-based primer used to prime the back of G459 grid strip membrane to improve adhesion to the grid adhesive.
- Sikaflex Primer 449
- A PVC-coated, heat weldable sheet metal capable of being formed into a variety of shapes and profiles. Sarnaclad-SS is a stainless steel sheet metal with an unsupported Sarnafil membrane laminated on one side for buried or concealed flashing conditions.
- A PVC-coated, heat-weldable sheet metal capable of being formed into a variety of shapes and profiles. Sarnaclad is a 25 gauge, G90 galvanized metal sheet with a 20 mil (0.5 mm) unsupported Sarnafil membrane laminated on one side for above grade flashing locations.
- Aluminum Tape
- A pressure-sensitive aluminum tape used as a separation layer between small areas of asphalt contamination and as a bond-breaker under the coverstrip at Sarnaclad-SS joints.
- Aluminum Tape
- Zamac Nailin Fasteners
- A drive-pin expansion type fastener for attachment of membrane, flashing, termination bars, and expansion joints to concrete, masonry, and brick with zinc sheaths and stainless steel pins.
- Zamac Nailin Fasteners
- A threaded fastener with a rubber gasket used with termination bar to terminate flashings into masonry substrates such as concrete and concrete block.
- 220 volt, self-propelled, hot-air welding machine used to seal long lengths of Sarnafil membrane seams.
- Prefabricated inside and outside flashing corners made of PVC membrane that are heat-welded to membrane or Sarnaclad base flashings. Sarnacorner is a universal piece that can be used for inside or outside corner applications.
- A high quality solvent cleaner used for the general cleaning of residual asphalt, scuff marks, etc., from the membrane surface.
- Sealant used at flashing terminations.
- A heavy duty, surface mounted aluminum flashing termination reglet used at walls. Prefabricated Sarnareglet mitered inside and outside corners are available for use where walls intersect.
- An extruded aluminum, flat low profile bar used to terminate flashing membrane. Sarnastop has predrilled holes every 6 inches (152 mm) on center.
- Multi-Purpose Tape
- A high performance sealant tape used with metal flashings as a preventive measure against air and wind blown moisture entry.
- Multi-Purpose Tape
- Circular 48 mil (1.2 mm) G410 membrane patch welded over T-joints formed by overlapping membranes greater than 60 mil (1.5 mm) in thickness.
2.12 DRAINAGE COMPOSITE
- Drainage Composite 3811R
- A 100% recycled polypropylene drainage core of fused, entangled filaments with a geocomposite fabric bonded to each side.
- Geonet B
- A polymeric drainage net with polypropylene geotextile laminated to both sides. Recommended for heavy traffic areas requiring higher compressive strength but where lower flow rates are acceptable.
- Extruded polystyrene closed-cell foam insulation. Thicknesses and compressive strength as noted on Project Drawings.
2.13 PRECAST CONCRETE PAVERS AND PEDESTALS
A. Precast Concrete Pavers and Support Pedestals
- Precast Concrete Pavers and Adjustable Pedestal Supports
- Pavers shall be hydraulically pressed concrete units manufactured by Hanover Architectural Products and supplied by Sika Sarnafil. Concrete pavers shall comply with the following minimum requirements:
|Physical Property||ASTM Test Method||Requirements|
|Dimensional Tolerances||C140||As specified ±1/8 inch maximum|
|Weight Tolerance||C138||As specified ±0.75 psf|
|Compressive Strength||C138/Modified||8500 psi minimum|
|Flexure||C140/Modified||350 lbs. minimum|
|Freeze Thaw Resistance||C67/Modified||50 cycles|
|Water Absorption||C936||5% or less|
Precast Concrete Paver thickness shall be: ______
Precast Concrete Paver size shall be: ______
Precast Concrete Paver finish shall be: ______
Precast Concrete Paver color shall be: ______
Pedestal System shall be: ______
2.14 RELATED MATERIALS
- Wood nailers shall be treated for fire and rot resistance (ACQ treated) and be #2 quality or better lumber. Creosote or asphalt-treated wood is not acceptable. Wood nailers shall conform to Factory Mutual Loss Prevention Data Sheet 1-49. All wood shall have a maximum moisture content of 19% by weight on a dry-weight basis.
- When adhering the flashing membrane directly to plywood, a minimum 1/2 inch (13 mm) CDX (C side out), smooth-surfaced exterior grade plywood with exterior grade glue shall be used. Rough-surfaced plywood or high fastener heads will require the use of Sarnafelt behind the flashing membrane. Plywood shall have a maximum moisture content of 19% by weight on a dry weight basis.
Miscellaneous Fasteners and Anchors.
- Fasteners are to be compatible with materials in contact with fasteners. All fasteners and anchors shall have a minimum embedment of 1-1/4 inches (31.7 mm) and shall be approved for such use by the fastener manufacturer. Fasteners for attachment of metal to wood blocking shall be annular ring nails. Fasteners for attachment of metal to masonry shall be all-metal expansion type fasteners. All fasteners shall meet Factory Mutual Standard 4470 for corrosion resistance.